Monday, May 28, 2012


HippoRemote - The first is an iPod/iPad app that works with your Mac (or PC) and allows you to use your iPod as a remote mouse, keyboard, remote control & gamepad.  The "lite" version is free, so you can try it out and purchase it later if you find it useful.  Personally, I like this app.  It can be used with a projector/interactive whiteboard from a distance, which is great if you want to offer support to students without "getting in the way".  I have only used it as a mouse and keyboard, but I'm VERY interested in trying out all of the features.  However, it does seem a bit "sluggish".  More testing is necessary.


Socrative -A clicker/response system that allows students/audiences to respond to questions in real-time. It can be used on any device with a web browser (tablet, smartphone, laptop, iPod, iPad, etc.).  Teachers login to their account, or go to t.socrative.com and students go to m.socrative.com .  Provide students with the virtual room # xxxx, in order to participate.  The room will be different every time, so there's no need to memorize it.  The teacher asks a question aloud, and chooses how the students may answer (true/false, multiple choice, short answer, quick quiz, etc.) or can create a quiz beforehand.  Student results are visible on the teacher's screen or sent in an email.  I tested this out twice, once as a student (answering questions for another teacher), and once I asked questions to a student aloud.  I also had them complete a pre-made "quick quiz", as well as a short quiz that I created for them.  The results can be emailed, or downloaded.  A VERY useful way to gauge student learning in an engaging environment!


Edmodo - This is a Facebook-type Social Networking site, but it's specifically for use in Education.  I know of schools that have successfully implemented this, and students use it regularly.  I have recently signed up my homeroom class, and am planning on using it for communication purposes.  My plan is to expand it for use by all classes by Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment